Saturday, November 2, 2013

This crazy life

Well it's been a while.  So, I had a draft of a 30 week update to post following my doctor's appointment April 29 with the latest measurements - but then life and 3 babies happened.  6 months later, I finally feel like I can come up for air and summarize the wild ride we have been on.  

Let's go back to April 12....


During a doctor's visit, my blood pressure was much higher than usual.  Throughout my pregnancy, my blood pressure had been perfect, so this was a red flag. Since I had a 45% risk of developing preeclampsia (15% per baby), the doctor had me monitor my blood pressure until my next appointment and collect my urine for 24 hours prior to my appointment to test for protein (a sign of preeclampsia).  Over the next 2 weeks, my blood pressure was normal, at times slightly elevated, but never to the point that I needed to call the doctor, and I never had other symptoms of preeclampsia.  No big deal.



Monday, April 29, Brian and I went in for a routine doctor's visit and ultrasound.  Even though I had a 24 hour collection of urine in my hand, the nurse asked for a fresh sample before seeing the doctor.  When we were settled in our room, the nurse came in to check my blood pressure.  140 something over 90 something.  Too high!  The nurse returned to let us know that there was protein in my urine sample.  That's when the panic started creeping in.  When the doctor came in to see us, we heard the phrase that stopped our world - "we're going to have to admit you" due to mild preeclampsia.  She assured us that this was to monitor as a precaution, and I could possibly be heading home in 24 hours.  No big deal.  Before we headed to the hospital, she wanted me to go for the ultrasound scheduled after the appointment so that they would have current measurements for the babies'.

During the ultrasound, all of the babies looked healthy.  They had perfect heartbeats, were moving, and practicing breathing on their own.  Baby A measured over 3 lbs, Baby C 2 lbs 10 oz, and Baby B, only 1 lb 12 oz.  At 30 weeks, Baby B should have been much bigger.  He had only gained 8 ounces in 4 weeks.  She did a doppler to check the flow from his placenta.  Unfortunately, the flow was interrupted and my little guy wasn't getting an appropriate amount, causing his restricted growth.  Big problem.  After our doctor was updated on the results from the ultrasound, she came in to touch base with us before we left.  To this day, I can't remember what she said, but I do know that the situation was more serious than we originally thought and I wouldn't be heading home in 24 hours.  They grabbed a pack of graham crackers and apple juice for the starving pregnant woman and sent us on our way.


I was a wreck!  I was only 30 weeks and 1 day pregnant.  This was too early.  My babies weren't ready!  I was having the perfect pregnancy.  This couldn't be happening.  The babies' rooms weren't ready.  We still had home renovations to do before the babies came home.  Our family was 8 hours away.  We had no clothes with us.  This was not the plan!  As I drove to the hospital, I took the wrong turn.  I couldn't process.  I talked to my mom and sister, trying to keep my cool while I was freaking out!  As we were walking into the hospital, I soaked up the last bit of fresh air.  It could be days or weeks before I saw something other than the hospital walls.


We checked into the hospital, walked up to labor and delivery, and our nurse helped us get settled and hooked me up to several monitors and IVs.  I was relieved to hear the attending physician for the remainder of the afternoon and the evening physician were two of my favorites.  What a relief!  When we were settled, we were bombarded with questions and information from the anesthesiologist, neonatologist, and others that I honestly don't remember.  Eventually, I just smiled and nodded, pretending like I heard or understood a single word anyone was saying to me.  Due to the placenta issue with Baby B, I had been upgraded to severe preeclampsia.  I was given a steroid shot to speed up the babies' lung development in preparation for a delivery in 24-48 hours.  Brian went home to pack his bag (thank goodness, I felt the urgency to pack my hospital bag the weekend before this fiasco began) and I attempted to get some rest.  When the evening doctor came in to check in with me, she mentioned that our goal was to keep me pregnant through the night.  There went my goal of a 35 week delivery! 


That night was horrible.  Horrible!  Between the blood pressure checks every 15 minutes, continuous sweet, comforting beats of my 3 babies hearts, and a one time massage-like calf cuff to prevent blood clots turned demon cuff to prevent sleep or comfort, I had 10 minutes of somewhat sleep that night.  I spent 7 hours staring at the clock, waiting for midnight so that my babies were officially one more day in the womb, and stalking the blood pressure monitor.


We made it to morning, and we met our goal of keeping me pregnant through the night!  Our plan was to move me from labor and delivery to the antepardom unit to monitor and tentatively plan for a Wednesday delivery.  My parents arrived Tuesday afternoon.  What a relief to have them there!  Since delivery and life in the NICU was a reality, we took a tour of the NICU that afternoon to prepare ourselves.  After seeing the unit, we were more at peace with the road ahead for our sweet babies.  At this point, we were unsure as to when we would deliver.  Wednesday seemed less likely, possibly Thursday.  Wednesday morning, we met with the doctor who decided to repeat the 24 hour urine sample.  The results Thursday morning would be the deciding factor as to whether or not and when we would deliver, or if we continued to monitor.  Either way, hours, days, or weeks away, I wasn't leaving the hospital until I delivered.


Wednesday night, my blood pressure magically returned to better than normal through the night.  Surely, this was a good sign.  Did the preeclampsia magically disappear?!?!  Only the lab results would tell.


Thursday morning, the nurse took the 24 hour urine sample to the lab.  As crazy as it sounds, life revolved around that bucket of urine.  We waited for an hour.  One nerve wracking hour.  I was ready to meet my babies.  I wanted Baby B to be safe.  Even though I wanted to deliver as late as possible, I knew that his needs would be met better on the outside because of his placenta issue.  Because of my background in early childhood special education, I was aware of the issues surrounding premature babies.  I was terrified of the road ahead of us.  I tried to relax during that hour, but it was next to impossible.  I spent the hour trying to remain calm, praying for God's will for my babies, that He would prepare us for the decision and the road ahead.  


After the longest hour of my life, the doctor came in with the test results.  The protein in my urine had doubled since Monday.  He was faced with the decision to deliver now while my blood pressure, liver, and kidney functions were stable, or give the babies a little while longer to bake and deliver under less than desirable circumstances.  After speaking with another doctor, they decided it was in my best interest to deliver that day.  Thursday, May 2, 2013 would be the day we meet out sweet babies, at 30 weeks 4 days.

The fun began!  The "todays the day - get here" phone calls went out to my parents waiting at our house, my sister, brother-in-law, and niece on the road to Charleston, and Brian's parents, sister, and grandmother who were waiting in Alabama.  Text messages and phone calls to our sweet friends who were waiting and praying along with us.  We showered, packed our bags, and moved back to the labor and delivery unit.  I was relieved to see our sweet nurse from Monday waiting for us at our door with a "welcome back".  



The final belly picture

After we were settled, I was hooked up to monitors, IVs, and prepped for my 2:00 C-Section.  Allison, Steven, and Abbie were on the road and set to arrive at the hospital around 1:30.  I had to see Allison before they took me to the operating room for one of her classic pep talks!  Luckily, my C-section was moved to 5:30.  I was able to spend several hours with Brian, Mom, Dad, Allison, Steven, and Abbie.  They were the perfect distraction from the fear of the road ahead.  Before moving to the operating room, we held hands and prayed.  It was one of those perfect moments in life.  Six of the people I love most covering us in prayer and love.  Absolutely beautiful.


Finally, it was time.  I was taken to the delivery room and given the spinal block.  As soon as I was ready for delivery, Brian came in.  


At 6:19 pm on Thursday, May 2, 2013, we heard the most precious sound imaginable - our babies first cry.  Jackson Lee arrived at 2 lb 11 oz.




A few seconds later, we heard the same sweet sound, with a little more spunk than his calm brother.  Jonathon Martin - Baby B, our biggest concern - fighting his way into the world and grabbing the doctors sponges along the way.  1 lb 12 oz.  


At 6:21, our family was complete.  Our beautiful daughter, Caroline Margaret, arrived at 2 lb 10 oz.  


The babies were immediately taken to a team of neonatologists and nurses to be stabilized and evaluated before Brian was able to see them.  A few weeks after delivery, I was told there were 40 people involved in our delivery, 10 per person.  

After delivery, I was taken back to our room to recover.  A nurse practitioner came in to update us on our babies.  3 healthy babies!  Jackson and Jonathon's apgar scores were 8 (2 minutes) and 9 (5 minutes), Caroline 7 and 9.  Prior to delivery, we were told Jonathon would more than likely be intubated, possibly Jackson and Caroline.  They were intubated during stabilization, then extubated!  3 sets of healthy lungs!  Once they were stabilized, they brought Jackson and Jonathon into our room for a visit before moving to the NICU.  Our boys are identical twin boys, so very handsome.  So precious.  Caroline's isolate was equipped with a 30 minute oxygen tank, so she was taken straight to the NICU.  

Shortly after delivery, Brian's parents, sister, and grandmother arrived.  His 91 year old grandmother was more than happy to make the 8 hour ride to meet her newest great grandbabies.  Priceless!  

Because I was on a magnesium drip, I was unable to get out of bed or leave our room.  Until I was off the drip, I couldn't go to the NICU to see Caroline.  Finally, at midnight, the good news came.  Immediately following delivery, my blood pressure returned to normal, and was stable for several hours.  I was taken off the drip and moved to the postpartum unit.  After we were settled in our room, Brian took me up to the NICU to see the babies.

9 hours after delivery, at 4 am, I was able to touch my daughter for the first time.  My beautiful, tiny daughter.  We visited with each baby.  They were perfect, just tiny.  I couldn't believe how healthy they were.  We were blessed beyond belief!

Over the next few days, our new family of 5 was covered in love by family and friends (one who drove from North Carolina just to visit for a few hours).  I have no doubt that their initial and continued health is because of the amount of hands that were on them their first few days.  They were loved on and prayed over by these hands, as well as love and prayers from friends, family, and people we will never know all over the country.  These sweet angels were at the heart of many, many prayers. 

The weeks following delivery, I spent every day at the hospital visiting the babies.  Brian returned to work the next week.  Super Dad worked 8-10 hours a day, then visited the babies afterwards.  Jackson and Caroline moved out of the NICU into a special care nursery at 4 days old.  Jonathon joined them a few days later on their 1 week birthday.  We were shocked our time in the NICU was as short as it was, especially Jonathon's. (Or so we thought...)

On their 5 week birthday, we were able to bring our first baby, Jackson, home.  It was a bittersweet occasion.  We were thrilled to have a baby at home, but 2 remained at the hospital.  Instead of spending all day, every day at the hospital, our time and heart was now divided between home and the hospital.

June 6, 2013

The Tuesday following Jackson's homecoming, Caroline was able to join us.



June 11, 2013

Jonathon, our tough guy, had a few rough weeks.  He came down with the flu in June and was moved back to the NICU.  He spent two weeks in isolation.  Since we had Jackson and Caroline at home and he continued to test positive for the flu, we weren't able to hold him out of fear of bringing the germs home to the babies.  Once he tested negative, we smothered that sweet boy with love!  It took several weeks for him to recover from the flu before he was ready to come home on their 2 month birthday.  The night before he was set to come home, his oxygen levels continued to decrease, and he was sent back to the NICU.  The doctors were unable to find a reason not only for his sudden decline, but his sudden recovery.  We knew exactly why - the prayer of friends and family!  After a few rough weeks, another missed homecoming, and several tests, he regained his strength and maintained his oxygen levels while he remained in the hospital, awaiting a hernia repair surgery date.

July 26, he came through his surgery like the tough guy we know he is.  Sunday, July 28, we got the call we waited so long for.  After spending 87 days in the hospital, Jonathon was ready to come home!  Our family was finally complete!  

July 28, 2013

Today, the babies are 6 months old.  It has been an adventure!  Brian & I couldn't have made it without the grandmothers who were willing to watch the babies at home while Jonathon was in the hospital, love and support from our families and friends, my aunt for spending two weeks with us, and the incredible staff at the hospital.  They took such good care of not only our babies, but us as well.  They are angels!  More than anything, we will always be grateful for the amount of prayers that were spoken over our family.  Prayers were spoken from churches we have never attended and people we may never meet, yet they covered our family in prayers.  There are no words to explain just how much that means to us.  I look forward to the day our children will be able to fully understand how God worked through their premature birth.  

Life with triplets at home is wild.  Absolutely wild.  I can't help but laugh at times that we really do have three babies, like this is a dream.  As wild as it is, life is good.  Three times the good night and good morning kisses.  Three babies to snuggle.  Thirty sweet baby toes.  Three times the love.  Three times the "firsts".  While they do have their "moments" (if you ever call or are at our house at 6:00 pm, expect three crying babies), I never expected three babies to be this easy.  They are sleeping 12 hours at night (the boys need an occasional 4am snack) and their little personalities are really coming out.  Caroline is our sweet, sweet girl.  Jackson is a sweet little guy, but can pitch a fit like a champ.  Jonathon was Mr Serious for so long, but recently decided he would keep us.

Health wise, we have three healthy babies.  Their pediatrician recently told us that he doesn't suggest we take them to a multiples support group, because we would stress out the other families with how well they are doing.  Developmentally, they are consistent with a 4-5 month old, which is where they should be considering they were 2 months premature.  They are on the verge of sitting up on their own, and if he continues at this rate, Jonathon will be walking by Thursday.  He has places to go!

Even on our worst days, there's not a single thing I would change about this new life we have!  





No comments:

Post a Comment